Associating files with the GCalICSimporter

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Hi there and many thanks for this great software. I've been working on some of the code to integrate this with a project management software called project2manage. My problem is that I don't know how to get the Gcalicsimporter to be available as a program with which I can associate my ics file. If I download your software it works fine, but when I download the code and edit it myself and then build it, the file can't be selected. I'm sure I must be doing something stupid, please can someone help?

Many thanks, Ken

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Just to add to this incase it's any help. I've tried simply dragging the file onto the executable that is output, but it simply won't work. Any ideas will be most welcome! Many thanks, Ken

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Just to follow this up, I couldn't get it to work in the end, so what I did was I downloaded the download package with the exe in it and then just replaced this with the output from the code that I altered. This seemed to work! If anyone finds a solution to this, I would be delighted to see it!

The main alteration I made was to delete all the events from the calendar before appending the ics conversion, which means that you don't get duplicate events. As well as this, I altered the end date because it was coming down as a zero duration event and this wasn't making google calendar happy, so I changed it. If anyone wants the code, just let me know

Cheers, Ken

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Guys, just following this up. I've found the solution.

Because you don't 'install' this app as such, when you run it the first time, it puts a registry key in with the address of the file - this is obvious I guess. When you then try and move the executable file, it doesn't matter where you put it, it will always look for it at the address of that registry key. Therefore, if you want to move it after you've run it the first time, you need to change the key.

Key to be found here: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\gcalimporter......

Hope that helps!